Friday, July 24, 2009

A World I know Not

I awoke to a world that I knew not
In the second Great War I had gone and fought

Is this the America that I grew up in?
Was the second war the last we had fought to win?

Like me. The country is old and sick.
Will the flame of the late great America be snuffed from the wick?

Where is the Doctor, is he in?
Is he prescribing for all, tonic and gin?

We need a new physician, I heard of a man named Paul
He wanted to lead , we said no,now will America fall?

Now I have this new healthcare,is it good, you ask?
I went to the new doctor and he had me drink gin from a flask

He told me I was sick but to old for a heart stent
He said there were younger folks ahead of me so home I was sent.

I lay here thinking of the winds of change
I don't hurt now and that's strange.

Who is at the foot of my bed?
It's the Great Physician, he places hands on each side of my head.

I look back as we leave. I see a body that I recognize, a world that I do not.

No comments:

Post a Comment